Saturday, September 5, 2009

Clinic in Chuchipaca

Today the guys and I had clinic in Chuchipaca. When we first arrived, I noticed that we had a few patients but not very many. The men of the congregation were working on the outside of the building. As funds can be tight in any building project, work is done when the money allows.

I heard last time that we were here that the very top of the building is for the PA system. They can lock the speaker system in the top room and not have to remove it between uses.

The windows are still covered with metal but in time, I am sure they will be replaced with pretty windows.

We had 11 medical patients today for consult. Not our biggest number for Chuchipaca but as I always tell the guys, "It is better than no one."

There was nothing unusual today. Some children were a little under their desired weight but hopefully they will return again next month and we will see if there has been any progress.

I noticed during our last patient today that there was a young boy sitting on a bench watching us. I thought he was a family member of the last patient. After I prayed with the last patient, this young boy came and sat down next to me. He said, "I only have 5 quetzales but I need some medicine." I asked him if he had talked to Gaspar and Juan and he told me no.

He proceeded to show me a rash that he had on his total body. He has been using laundry soap to bath in. I told him that we had some soap that he could have and some cream. After we talked a few minutes, I went to get the items for him. Gaspar and Juan had not seen the boy come in and sit down.

Jesus had a soft heart for children. This boy, even though he only had 5 quetzales wanted to pay for the soap and cream. I told him to keep his money but to come back and see us so we would know if he felt better.

Matthew 18:2-5

And He said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whosoever becomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little one who believes in me to sin, it would better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

Let us think of how we can be more humble as children and be pleasing to God..............this should be our goal every day.