Friday, September 4, 2009

Clinic in Choacaman IV

Today the guys and I went to Choacaman IV. We had a small clinic of only 6 patients but the encouraging news is most were new patients. Enrique is continuing to talk about the clinic and invite people from different areas of Santa Cruz.

We heard today that the patient from yesterday is continuing to feel much better. I was very thankful to hear that.

We had one patient who I thought should visit Lisa on a pap clinic day. After I talked to her for a few minutes she then told me that she had one done in April. She then told me that the result showed cancer but she had not returned for follow-up care. I strongly encouraged her to come to our next clinic in Lemoa.

The last patient of the day had very high blood pressure and was not aware of it. His main complaint was that his elbows and knees hurt. Enrique told me that when the man was younger, he would carry 300 pounds of vegetables around the market on his back..........unbelievable!

When Juan checked his blood pressure it was 180/100. After I had talked to him for a while, I checked it again and it was 210/100 in both arms. I gave him some medicine and asked him if he could stay with us for awhile. He said he could and Enrique invited him to eat lunch with us. At the mention of lunch, he gave us a BIG grin!

As usual, lunch was great and we were not able to finish it all. We had soup with rice, squash, carrots and chicken........and of course, tortillas.

After lunch, I checked the gentleman's blood pressure again and it was 170/90. He will continue to take his medicine and return to see us in 15 days.

I did not post the last photo of the CHE class that Lisa taught. This was the group of students that attended that class.




A few patients talked today about how life is hard and they do not know from day to day where they will get money, food or wood for the fire. We talked about how everyone has struggles and the struggles are very painful. We need to remain focused on life eternal and not this world.........this world is temporary. We are not promised tomorrow.......but we are promised eternity.........and how we will spend it depends on our decisions. Each day our faith needs to grow. Paul struggled and he prayed for relief..........but it was not removed. Let us remember the words ofPaul.

II Corinthians 12: 9-10

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Tomorrow the guys and I head to Chuchipaca. I forgot to tell Juan to bring his license so he could drive but maybe he will remember. He is doing very well and continues to gain confidence. I have even sat in the back and left Gaspar in the front with him........I think Gaspar was a little nervous with that but Juan is doing very well........................good night :)





No comments: