Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Clinic in La Palma

The photo below is taken from the school in La Palma where we had clinic today. It was a beautiful, warm day. When we first pulled into the school there were a TON of people and I thought they were there for our clinic........alas, today was the first day of school.......but it is good that so many children were there for class and each child had a parent with them.

The community is building a new school and the cement is mixed by hand. I caught one guy goofing around as he was laying in a wheelbarrow. All of the men have a shovel or a hoe and then create a "pond" of cement. The water is added using the pink and white containers. They always make me think of the old TV show, I Dream of Jeanie.


As in most cases, some people do more work than others :)
We had 11 medical patients and 4 dental patients. Some of the women brought us lunch of eggs, beans and tortillas.

When I returned to Santa Cruz, I walked to the store to get a few things. I arrived on a corner where there had just been an accident of a tuk-tuk. It is a small vehicle that is used to taxi people around. Kemmel thinks that they are like cockroaches because there are so many of them and they are always in your way. You just never know which way they are going to turn or how many lanes they will create. Anyway, this guys tuk-tuk was upside down and smashed pretty bad. It looked like he had flipped several times. For those of you who have been here before, it was in front of Mi Taco Express. I made sure the driver was breathing and did not see alot of blood.....I heard the ambulance down the street so I moved on.

It was a very good day and everyone has returned home safe.........Gracias a Dios.........

No comments: