Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Back in Mactzul VI

I left my house this morning at 0715 and stopped for Marcos and Aura. We then proceeded to Chichi to get Mauri and Gaspar while Juan was waiting for us in Mactzul VI. Our drive was uneventful even though we did receive a call saying that we might have problems with one road. I am thankful that we did not because when we have a dental clinic we have more equipment to carry.

There were 20 dental patients and 10 medical patients. Julio assisted me again with the K'iche' speaking patients. I really enjoy working with him and he is very kind to the patients. I ask him to pray with these patients before they go to the pharmacy area. I wish I had a clip of his prayer when he says, "Santo, Santo, Santo is Tu nombre." This translates, "Holy, Holy, Holy is Your name." As I mentioned yesterday, the prayers are very special and you can tell they come from the heart.
The photo below is of Julio and his children.

Juan brought two small children back for a consult whose parents could not bring them. Juan told me they did not have any money but that does not prevent us from seeing patients. Juan was told these boys had small sores on their legs. When we asked the boys to show us their legs, the sores were very large and obviously had been there for a long time. Juan was surprised and sad, as I was. I hope that their legs heal without more infection.

Ya know, life here is no different than in any other part of the world.....some days have more challenges and obstacles than others. Every morning I pray we have safe travels. Every evening I am thankful that we are all in our homes and have been protected. I do not expect problem-free days or days without struggles. But no matter what happens, I can remember that God cares for us and will not abandon us as we are promised in Hebrews. He is with us each step.......and each kilometer of the day.............and that thought allows us to have a peaceful night.

No comments: