Monday, January 7, 2008

Back in Guatemala

I returned to Guatemala with no problems. The flights were great, my luggage arrived and my shuttle was waiting for me. I arrived in Antigua about 1030 pm and had a shuttle take me to Chichi at 700 am on Sunday.

Kemmel and Lisa met me in Chichi and drove me the rest of the way to Quiche. I really enjoyed my visit home with my family and friends but now I feel like it is time to return to work. This year our clinics will be Tuesday-Saturday.

Today I returned to Antigua to spend some time with friends there. I visited Mary, who I lived with while I studied Spanish in Antigua. She had a Diet Coke waiting for me and we sat on her patio and talked. Later I visited Juliet and her family. They have really struggled since the death of her husband. Today was her first day back at school and she said that she has a real interesting student. I hope so because that makes her day more enjoyable.

My bus ride back to Chichi was one FAST ride! I usually do not get nervous until the Guatemalans appear nervous. Usually they sleep or are preoccupied with something different......but not on this ride. They were all awake, sliding back and forth in their seats and appearing restless. Driving in the dark is a special challenge because many vehicles do not have lights......so much for seeing the oncoming traffic. This driver was not nervous because he had 3 people helping him know when he could pass off the road and between the lanes!

We made it Chichi safe and I am getting ready for clinic tomorrow. I will meet everyone at 0800 and we will head to Xesic.

2 comments:

marymadill said...

Happy New Year!! Looks like things are going well for you in Guate. What apartment did you end up getting? Was it one of the ones we saw? Don't know if you remember the ones we saw, that has been a while. Can't believe it has been almost a year since I was there. Crazy. I bet your spanish is getting awesome! Are clinics going well??? Just thought I would say hi. I didn't know you had a blog till I saw the link on kemmel and lisa's. Tell Josephina I said hola hermana. Does she have an email?? Hope things are excellent for you.
Sincerely- Mary Madill (PA student in Guate for a short time, in case you forgot:)

Sheri said...

Mary, it is good to hear from you. I do not have your email. Please send it to me at fscubarn@aol.com. All is well here!