Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Class for the Health Promoters

Today we had class for the Health Promoters that help us in all of our clinics. Nineteen people attended and it was a good day.......but of course, we missed Kemmel and Lisa. We started the morning with Gaspar leading us in some songs and then Manuel gave a devotional in K'iche'. Juan led us in a few more songs and then it was time to start the class.

Josefina taught from the book, Where There is no Doctor. Her class included patients with high temperatures, fractures, abdominal wounds and those who have ingested poisonous substances.

I talked about CPR in adults and gave them time to practice. It was difficult not having mannequins for teaching so I drew outlines of patients on the cement. Everyone had a chance to practice and ask questions. The first photo is of Manuel opening the airway (now use your imagination :) to give two breaths.
They checked for a pulse but there was not one so Tomas began compressions.

The next photo is of Enrique demonstrating the head-tilt, chin-lift procedure. Sebastian is waiting for the approval to start compressions. Enrique is from Panajxit and Sabastian is from Chimente.
Mom helped me as I demonstrated how to properly position a patient for CPR. She was a good patient but I had to remind her not so smile or talk since she was suppose to be unconscious. While we were doing this, Dad was painting the clinic.

We enjoyed a very good lunch of fried chicken, salad, rice, tortillas and peach flavored punch.

Some of the guys grabbed brushes and the rollers and started helping dad paint.....eventually, they were doing the painting and dad was practicing his Spanish with them. We will return on Thursday and should complete the painting then.

It was a good day of class and I hope the guys were encouraged by it and found it interesting.

When I came home tonight, I told the family that I live with that I will be moving. I will be moving to Chichicastenango and staying in Lisa and Kemmel's house for 6 months while they are in The City. It will cut down on the driving that I do, I will be closer to the guys I work with and I will be closer to our clinics. I think it is a good move..........and in during the next 6 months I can be looking for another house in Chichi.


No comments: