Saturday, August 29, 2015

What Have We Forgotten??

We had a wonderful clinic today in Chuchipaca.  Manuel picked Maria and me up this morning.  We had a variety of 29 patients. It could have not been a better day.

As we returned to Chichi  in the afternoon, we noticed that a parade was forming.  I did not know what the parade was for but my only concern was getting home before it started to rain.  The sky was grey and the wind was stirring.

As I made my way thought the streets, I noticed a theme in the floats.  I stopped and talked to some people and they told me that today is, "The Day of the Bible."  Wow!!  The day of what??

My thought made me sad.  I knew that this would not take place in The United States of America.

This first float focused on Psalm 119:105:  Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my pathway.

This float has the scripture from Romans 10:17:  So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing the word of God.

These children were dressed in animal suits with the rainbow..........representing the story of the flood and God's promise to us.

Representing the Ten Commandments. The parde was over five blocks long.

What a great reminder this verse is.  It is taken from John 14:27:  These are the words of Jesus, "I am leaving you at peace.  I'm giving you my own peace. I am not giving it to you as the world gives.  So don't let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid."

My fear is what has happened in the world.  Guatemala has many, many problems.There is no hiding that. Problems exists socially and politically.  It has severe economic issues but yet they recognize that they need God.  They have not forgotten Him.

We have many days of celebration during the year and these are very important to us.  We also have some days that are for entertainment as Dog Day, Trail Mix Day, Bring your Manners to Work Day,
Cheese Pizza Day, No Socks Day and the list goes on.............................

Personally, I believe that every day should be Bible Day but it is nice to know that Guatemala does acknowledges it.

Maybe we should think of the history of the Israelites. Deuteronomy, chapter 28, lists the promises of God to this group of people.  God is the same today as He was then. He demands obedience and with disobedience, comes consequences. God is a jealous and will not allow anything or anyone to come before Him. (Exodus 34:14)






No comments: