Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not a boring day :)

This morning, I needed to meet Manuel before I went to get Enrique.  I pulled the truck up to the road, jumped out with what Manuel needed, looked down and the tire was flat, flat, FLAT!  Did I say that the tire was FLAT???

So, I got all of the lug nuts off, got ready to put the jack under the truck and thought I would drop down the spare tire first..........and that is when I had trouble.  I could not get the spare to drop down.  I was so frustrated, that I think I actually GROWLED!  That is when I realized I knew that I needed to call for help.  For those that know me, you know I like to be self-reliant but today, I was not.

A tuk-tuk driver stopped to help me and then his friend stopped. Sara and Sandra were waiting in front of their house for me, and as someone drove by, they told them that I was having trouble in the road.  Manuel came with Maria.  I had to call Enrique to let him know I was going to be a little late, so he decided to walk down to where we were................eventually, I had 7 people helping me.  I appreciate so much all of the help I get here in Guatemala.  People are so good to me and I thank God daily for them!

Enrique and I drove to get the flat fixed.  I called Tomas to let him know that we would be a little late. 

We had a good clinic in Xepol.  Victor was there with his mom.  This month, he only had a little twitching of his hand.  I would love to have him symptom-free but that continue to be my hope. 

Last month, we visited a home that had four sick children. Today, the mother returned and told us that the children are much  better!  Gracias a Dios.  As I was talking to her, I noticed a fresh scar on the leg of one of her other children.  I asked what happened and she told me that last month, her child had cut her leg with a machete!  The cut was about 4 inches long and she is going to have quite a scar!  I felt so bad for the little girl.  She is only three years old.  I talked to her mom about cleaning it and gave them some cream for her. 

A couple of weeks ago, in Chuguexa, we had a young diabetic man.  His name is Tomas and I took him to the hospital.  They have him a couple liters of IV fluid and sent him home.  He does not have money to buy insulin, so he came to see us today.  I was able to meet his father for the first time and we talked about how very sick Tomas is. He told me that he is going to try to find a way to buy the medicine on Saturday.

Please pray for Tomas and his family.  There is nothing more powerful than prayer.  This family is hurting and scared.  I will see them again in two weeks.

Tomorrow, we have clinic in Lemoa!

No comments: