Monday, June 4, 2012

Catch-up News

So much has happened in the last few days that I do not want to forget any of it.

On Saturday, we had clinic in Chiqua, with 17 patients.  Easton and Kyle went with Manuel, Tomas and I. It was a good clinic with a good variety of patients.  We saw a young boy that has a hernia.  If he returns with good labs, he will go with us to Montellano in August for surgery.

I have not been to Chiqua for a couple of months so it was good to get back.  Alicia was there and she prepared a lunch of bean, rice and tortillas.  Roger came and visited with us as he made his way to the highlands.

I went to Antigua on Sunday afternoon.  I wanted to see Mary, a friend of mine, and also get my suitcase to Antigua before I go to visit my parents.  Thanks to Glenn and Neva for letting me stay in their apt. while they are down in Montellano for the surgical clinic.

On Monday, I went to Lisa and Kemmel's house for lunch.  They grilled burgers for the MET Students and Roger.  I was chatting and almost forgot that I needed to pick up Gaspar for an ABC Class!

When I went out and tried to start the truck, the battery was too weak.  We pushed it back and jumped it off with another vehicle........then I was on my way to Clinic Caris.

When I arrived, Gaspar was praying with some patients.  I did not know who he was with but I was so excited when I saw him leave the exam room with Gaspar, from Choacaman!!  Gaspar came over and introduced me to his wife and she was very nice!! We have spent a lot of time in clinics with Gaspar but she has never been with him.  He began to tell me how thankful he is for the last time we spent together talking.  I told him how concerned I have been for him but left out the part of being concerned that he had died. Maybe it is better not to verbalize some things :)

When Gaspar and I were driving to Mactul III, he told me about his conversation with Gaspar and his wife.  Gaspar, apparently went to another clinic and got some insulin after our the last clinic.  It seems that they gave him way too much and his wife said he became unconscious at home and almost died.  Now, Gaspar is to the point of thinking about wanting to become a Christian and to be baptized!

I know that the story is a little complicated with two guys having the same name but this news is so exciting to me!  We have spent a lot of time in the clinics talking to Gaspar about his spiritual life.  He is one of the first patients I met when I started doing clinics here in Guatemala. 

Our Gaspar, also told me today that he has some photos of when a family of nine were recently baptized.  This is a result of this family coming to the clinics and Gaspar following up with them in their home between clinics.  What a wonderful opportunity we have when patients are in need.

We finally made it to Mactzul III and did the ABC Class.  We had 50 people there and they had a lot of good questions.  I will return next Monday for a ladies Bible Study.




No comments: