Sunday, September 11, 2011

Voting Day in Guatemala

Today, is the day for Guatemalans to select or most likely narrow down the possibilities for the next president. There are so many people in the running and if no one wins it by 50% of the votes, there will be a second round in November.

The voting places were packed and the lines were long. There were at least two places to vote in Chichi alone.

The skies were dark and the rain would come and go.

Even though the streets were filled with people, the market was empty. There were less than 25% than the usual crowds.

It was a great time to look around and see what was available. I bought a bunch of vegetables and then forgot to pick up the cabbage. The man followed me around with the cabbage until I noticed him. How kind of him!

This afternoon I went to Xepocol for their worship. I saw Sandra and her family. It was good to see them. Afterward, the truck started filling quickly with people wanting a ride closer to their home especially since it was cold and raining.

I dropped everyone off and then went down the road until I found a place to turn the truck around. When I passed Sandra's house, they had all stayed outside to make sure I returned safely.

The voting places have closed for the day but the streets are still packed with people. I know people are wanting to know what the outcome is. Maybe they will know tomorrow or at least have a better idea. With all of the corruption, violence and poverty here, I hope they will have a president that will minimize the problems of Guatemala.

No comments: