Friday, September 9, 2011

Clinica and Checkers in Choacaman IV

When we arrived in Choacaman IV, there were 11 patients waiting for us. I was excited and even more excited when the group increased to eighteen!

We saw many types of patients. Many had respiratory problems, a few diabetics, several with arthritis and two pregnant ladies. One lady said that she had an insect in her ear. I could not see it but I always try to be a good listener. Thankfully, we were in a clinic where we could get some warm water. Gaspar did flush out a small insect! Whew............I felt better and so did the patient.

During the last five patients, the skies began to rumble and I mean rumble hard! I thought, we are going to get drenched hiking back to the truck. When I stepped out after the last patient, Gaspar and the children were playing checkers.

It did not matter that it was a home-made board...........with bottle tops. They were very much "into" the game. I think that Gaspar, with his Indian Quiche tops, won.

Jesus, the lady of the home, rushed us to get ready for lunch. She was also concerned with the coming rain. We had delicious black beans, rice, fresh chili, tortillas and juice.

We packed up everything quickly and hit the trail.........and we made it. After we were in the truck for about 10 minutes, the skies dropped buckets!

We stopped by the clinic to pick up a few things and then returned to Chichi. Another good day..........and as always, we are thankful for the safe travels.

Tomorrow morning, Manuel and I will go to the city. We will meet Elaine, who will be with us for a few weeks.

No comments: