Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A day of study

Today was a day to continue to prepare more educational materials for our health promoters and prepare for classes.

It is an every day challenge to continue to learn the language, well really two languages, continue to learn the culture and study more to function better in the clinics. I do not think my Spanish will ever be perfect but I long for the day that I no longer sound like a gringa. I hope that some day I will be able to communicate well enough in K'iche' that I do not need a translator. I know, my life is full of hopes.............but I can handle that.

During the last four years, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the Ethiopian eunuch........

Acts 8:26-36-----Now an angel of the Lord said to Phillip, "Go south to the road, the desert road that goes down from the Jerusalem, to Gaza." So he started out and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians. This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the book of Isaiah the prophet. The Spirit told Philip, "Go to the chariot and stay near it." Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked. "How can I," he said "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

So, Philip goes on to explain the passage in Isaiah. The Ethiopian learns about Christ and learns what he needs to do. He then sees water, understands the need for baptism and Philip baptizes him.

Anyway, I have thought about this man sitting in his chariot more times than I can say. He had just traveled Jerusalem to worship so he did have an interest in learning what he needed to know. He wanted to learn but needed help. I can not tell you how many times I have needed help! I continue to need help every day!

The need to learn can be frustrating. Sometimes you do not see the progress you want to see. Sometimes you study and study but can't remember the next day. Sometimes you think you know it and then realize you are way off.

During college, I did study enough to get by but now, learning is different. It has become a means to survive. It is a strong drive. If I don't continue to learn, I will never function at my optimum level. At that point maybe I should start making and selling tortillas on the corner.......just kidding.

Tomorrow we have clinic in Chuguexa.................my hope for them is that their clinic will grow this year. There is a definite need there and maybe we can be Philip to them!

No comments: