Friday, December 26, 2008

Reverse Culture Shock

You have probably read in my blog or Lisa and Kemmel's blog about reverse culture shock. It is a true phenomenon.

I went shopping this morning and borrowed my mom's car. When I got to the store and turned the car off the lights and radio would not turn off. Great........the battery will die while I am shopping. So, I decide to call and sound blond but it's ok. Mom tells me that when the door opens, the radio and lights will go off. I try to open the door and then realize I have locked myself in when trying to turn off the windshield wipers. What happened to simple cars instead of spaceships?

Now, I am in the store shopping...........why are there 10 brands of toothpaste?? I have my cart and I am looking for a few gifts to take back to Guatemala. This lady walks over and asks me how much I think the candy is........I tell her what I think and she thanks me. I return to where I parked my cart and I realize she has taken my things out of the cart, placed them on the shelf and walked away with the cart!

When I left the store I drove to the bank. A lady drove ahead of me fast so she would be able to use the window. This was fine with me because I do not mind using the tube system. While I am waiting, the lady pulls up to the window and turns off her car......she yells to the teller, "Honey, would you give me a deposit slip?" while she begins to look through her purse for a pen...........at a drive-through window??

After the bank, I drove the spaceship home to get mom so we could do some more shopping :)

No comments: