Friday, September 19, 2008

Rain, Rain, Rain = Mud, Mud, Mud

It rains almost every day this time of year and sometimes it rains ALL day. Today was an all day rain. Sometimes it will be 2-3 days before you see substantial sun.

This morning as Gaspar and I were waiting in the park, he told me that the owner of the field near our clinic in Choacaman IV told Enrique that we could not drive to the corn field. Usually we drive through a wooded area, cross a field, park there and then walk the remainder of the way through corn fields to a house. Hmmmm, I thought we for sure would sink in the mud to our KNEES but said, "ok, no problem!"

When Juan arrived, we drove to Choacaman and as we made our way though the wooded area, the truck ALMOST SUNK TO IT's KNEES!!! :) It is was the closest to being stuck I have ever been and did not enjoy it. The guys like it when we fish-tail a little but when the truck popped out of 4-wheel they did not snicker.......Gracias a Dios we made it and then we had the fun of walking the rest of the way.

These children live in the home where we have clinic and are always ready for a quick photo.
This guy strutted and strutted for us all day! He better be careful and keep a low profile........I heard some discussion on being used for a meal :)
As we were getting ready to leave, Enrique told me he would teach me how to to drive back to the main road through the mud. He is a joker so I just laughed him off and moved on to another topic. He and his son wanted a ride to Santa Cruz so we all piled in the truck.

As we went through the first mud holes he did not say anything..........as we went through the next set, he asked how many years I have been driving! I told him too many and I was old!! He told me that I did a good job and did not need any teaching. I thanked him and told him that I always need God when I am driving.........so true, especially here in Guatemala.

We had a good clinic of 13 patients. If you have seen the blogs about the Mayan Priest, Diego, he returned again today and was in good health. His blood sugar was in normal range and he felt good. Enrique was in the room when we were finishing the consult so I asked Enrique to pray and give thanks that Diego was feeling better and that is blood sugar was normal.

Tomorrow we head to Chuchipaca and I am confident it will be a good day.

No comments: