Saturday, September 13, 2008

Curb-side Coca-Cola ???

Diet Coca-Cola anyone???

One my way home from clinic today, two interesting things happened.

First, we had a good clinic in Mactzul V. We had 10 patients, which were more than we had anticipated with the celebrating going on here in Guatemala. Between patients Gaspar, Juan, two brothers from the Church and I practiced K'iche' from a book that I took. I learned a few new words and they helped me with my pronunciation.

As always, I stopped on my way home for a Coke. It is always fun to guess which store will have one since all do not have it. I stopped at a place that has it from time-to-time. I parked the truck, hopped out and ran behind the truck. As I looked up, the store owner was meeting me on the curb with my cold, diet coke and a BIG smile!! Service could not be better! I thanked him, hopped back in the truck and saluted him with my Coke before driving away!

As I approached my house, I met a little lady that lives next door to me. She is always barefoot, is barely 4 feet tall, probably does not weigh more than 80 pounds and was carrying firewood on her back. I stopped to see if she would let me give her a ride since there was room in the truck for her wood.

She said it was ok and I lifted the cargo of wood off of her back and let me tell you, it was not light!! With a little struggle, I managed to lift it up. It was tied very neatly and had to weigh at least 40 pounds. As I was lifting it into the back of the truck, she was trying to get in the front seat.........I could tell, this was something she was not use to doing.

We arrived at our houses and I lifted the wood out of the the truck, still amazed she could carry it on her back. I am not a weight-lifter but feel I can carry a decent load. As I placed it by the road, I realized she was not out of the truck yet.......then I thought (yes, I am slow sometimes) she is not sure how to open the door of the truck. I opened it and helped her out.

Both of us were in each other's world for a few minutes......me carrying wood and her riding in a truck. Yes, it was an interesting day..........

No comments: