Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Another day of adventure........

Today we had a pap clinic for the ladies in the community at Clinica Caris.

We heard of a gentleman that lived near the clinic that has been losing his eye sight. Josefina and I drove to a school where we were told his family member would meet us. She told us that the house was not far at all and we could walk but the word, "far" can mean different things to different people :) We decided to take the truck and I was glad.

It was an interesting drive on a very narrow road, very close to a cliff on my side. We reached an open area and were told we needed to walk the rest of the way.........I was fine with walking but not fine with the dogs that were jumping on the truck. We thought the dogs belonged to the family member and if she got out of the truck, the dogs would calm down......but she was in the back seat and did not know how to open the door. Josefina finally got her out and I was still not excited about this adventure because the dogs were not calming down.

We hiked up to a house and met some black lambs that were beautiful and a pen of rabbits. I wanted photos but was too nervous because of the dogs.....there was another pack waiting for us.

We went in and met the gentleman and he has double cataracts and has been loosing his eye sight for 3 months. He is only 65 years old. He seems to be in good health other than his eyes so we will try and get him in the eye clinic in November.

I really enjoy going to homes of people that can not make it to the clinic. The children in the house were very friendly.....as Josefina began to pray for the patient and family, everyone kneeled. It was a very humbling experience.

We headed back to the truck.............and the other pack of dogs were waiting for us. I got Josefina in on her side and then used my backpack as a little protection as I got in.

We found a place to turn around and made it back to Santa Cruz.

No comments: