Saturday, September 15, 2007

Returning for our clinics


We left Clinica Ezell at 0700 for our clinic in Chuguaxa. Returning with me were Gaspar, Tomas and Dr. Dickerson. Dr. Dickeron is a cardiologist and will be helping me with our clinics for the remainder of the week.

Gaspar and Tomas have been learning how to clean teeth the last few days. They want to expand their work which will be very helpful in our clinics. Last night Tomas came to dinner with a mouth of gauze. Unfortunately, he had to have 4 teeth pulled and my heart hurt for him. Before we left the clinic he told me he was feeling ok and not hurting. I have to believe him but do not think I could be that strong.

We arrived in Chuguaxa before 0900 and saw 22 patients. We saw a variety of patients which always makes for a good day. One woman received word that her pap test was normal. We found a boy about 8 years old who has a ruptured ear drum. Dr. Dickerson is going to follow up on possible treatment. We talked with a mother and her daughter who are struggling since the husband/father died about 8 years ago. We had a few diabetics and talked to them about improving their diets.

These children helped us carry our gear to the truck and then hid in the trees :)

I returned to Santa Cruz after clinic and it feels good to be home.

No comments: