Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Clinic in Chuchipaca

We left Santa Cruz about 0745 and met Juan and Gaspar in Chichicastenango. We traveled about 45 minutes to Chuchipaca. We only had 12 patients so we finished earlier than usual.

Two men from the local Church worked with us today. Edwin prayed with the patients after their consult and Juan helped me with the K'iche' speaking patients.

After all of the patients were seen, Josefina worked with Juan on taking blood pressures. The goal is to work with the volunteers to the extent that they are able to keep some medicines in their homes and to know how to use them appropriately. We want the community to recognize who the Church leaders are so they will go to them when they have needs. It is a slow process but obtainable. "Poco a poco" as they say, "little by little."

On the way home we made a home visit to a patient. About 4 years ago he was severely beaten and since then needs a wheel chair. He has a difficult time controlling his diabetes and it is a very sad situation. He and his family were very appreciative.

After I returned to Santa Cruz I started walking to the park. About half way there, I decided I wanted to have chicken for dinner. About that time, a dog in the street went for my leg but luckily only caught my scrub pant. I unstrapped my back pack getting ready to use it on him but he released my pant. This is the first time a dog has ever bothered me. He must have been "smelling" my thoughts :)

Tomorrow, another adventure and another community........

No comments: