Monday, September 3, 2007

Pak'ak'aj Xesic clinic

Today I traveled to Pak'ak'aj with Gaspar and Juan. This is the first of Dr. Lisa's clinics that I have done solo without Dr. Josefina. When the patients did not have family that spoke Spanish, Gaspar helped me with the K'iche' speaking patients.

We had 12 patients today and they were benign visits. One gentleman has an inguinal hernia so he will follow up for surgery. Other patients had common muscle pains, headaches and gastric problems.

Gaspar and I alternated praying with the patients. When he was with me, he would pray in K'iche' and when I was alone I would pray in Spanish. One lady and her husband had general complaints of their muscles and total body pain. When we were finished, I asked Gaspar to pray in K'iche' and at this time the husband and his wife kneeled for the prayer. Gaspar and I followed suit. Kneeling during prayer is common here and it is very humbling.

Kemmel joined us for part of the day. We walked a short distance to a house and enjoyed a delicious meal of beef, black beans, grilled onions and tortillas.

I returned to my house to study Spanish and practice talking for my teacher on Saturday :)

No comments: