Thursday, January 3, 2019

First Clinic of 2019

Our first clinic of the year was outstanding! At the end of the day, I was so thankful for the events that had taken place.

I was preparing a few things this morning and Gaspar asked if I had time to speak to someone.  I responded, "Of course!"

Gaspar returned with a gentleman that I knew, but could not remember how...........and then the gaps in my memory began to fill. This gentleman, Rigoberto, had brought his daughter Nancy to see us late in November of 2017. She was seventeen years old and showed all signs of being in severe renal failure. She did not have any significant history, so it was a real concern for many reasons. We referred her to the national hospital in Quiche and she was admitted.

Rigoberto and I would speak by phone at least once every day. For three weeks, Nancy was in the hospital and her dad never left the bedside.  Sometimes he would call me twice a day and I would go visit as I could.  Eventually, the physicians in Quiche wanted to transfer her to the national hospital in Quetzaltenango, since they have better services for kidney patients.  Rigoberto did not understand all of this and kept asking for help. I asked him to listen to the physicians.  When Rigoberto agreed to have her transferred, there were no ambulances to take her. I spoke to Kemmel and then went to talk to Gaspar, to see if he could take her.  He agreed and that afternoon they went.

The last few times that I spoke to him, he said the physicians were talking about doing a kidney transplant.  He was told that her kidneys had failed and without a new kidney, she would die.  We did not hear anything for a few weeks and then when I called, he did not respond.  Well, Gaspar and I both thought that Nancy had died.

Today, Rigoberto was flying high and tearful and he told me how well Nancy is doing! They started dialysis on her and she remained in the hospital for several weeks.  She returns to the hospital once a month to have her labs checked.  She finished 2018 doing dialysis 4 times a day, at home, but now they are reducing it to three times a day! He is one thankful father!

Gaspar and I talked to him until it was time to start our devotional.  We talked about how hard illnesses are and sometimes we do not fully understand everything.............but sometimes, illness can be a blessing. Sometimes, it can shake us enough to reconsider our relationship with God.  Life can be painful and there is nothing more painful than losing a child. A parent would rather die themself than to see their child suffer. But sometimes, we are given another chance or more time to make better decisions that improve our relationship with God.

As we know from Isaiah 55:8-9---------For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.  As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways."

This is where our trust and confidence in God are so important........important but not easy. But we do have his promise, that if we are his children, he will never fail us.

Thank you, Lord!

 
  




7 comments:

Unknown said...

❤️

Mom said...

I am so very happy for this man and his daughter!!!!! Does this mean that she does not need a kidney transplant? Will she have to continue the treatment?

Sue Ann said...

These amazing stories are ways God helps us see His big plans. Praises!

Sheri said...

Mom, yes, they are still considering a transplant but kidney donors are even more difficult to find here than in the states. She is doing well at this point so we will continue to pray that this continues.

Sheri said...

Karen, thanks for reading the blog. I will try to keep it up better than I have the last month. I hope to see you soon.

Sheri said...

Sue Ann, this is why it is so important for us to continue to reach out. As you know well, sometimes, we do not see or know of the fruits.........but we shall keep on. Blessings in your planning for the Ukraine!

Sue Ann said...

God works off of the seeds we scatter, He is mighty to save and He is glorified by those who are saved in His gracious love. Amen sister! We do need to continue to reach out.