Saturday, January 12, 2019

Burden of Armando

A little over two months ago, I received a message from Jody, who had seen my blog or a posting of Health Talents. She left a message, asking me to contact her since she knew of a man in Guatemala that needed some help. I responded to her message but she did not have a lot of information on this gentleman.  She and some others had recently been to Guatemala and saw this patient but were not able to help him.

Jody did not know his name or where he lived, just that he was in Guatemala. First, I want to let you know that I have asked this patient if it is alright that I share his story and photos and he was not hesitant at all.

So, this man's name is Armando and he lives in Jalapa.  Jalapa, according to the Google map is 4.5 to 5.5 hours from Chichicastenango. He unfortunately has had this mass growing for twenty years and has not been able to find help.

This is the photo that were sent to me.

I was at the coast when I received the photo. I spoke to Rick about the possibility of doing the surgery in January. He told me that Dr. Scott would be there and to contact him to see what his thoughts were. Dr. Scott and I shared emails and he thought that this patient would be a good surgical candidate.

Jody had a contact in Guatemala, who knew someone else and eventually we found Armando.  He traveled to Chichicastenango and was accompanied by Fernando.  This was the first time that either one of them had been here. I gave them directions to our clinic in Lemoa and we met with them around mid-morning on a Thursday.

I was thankful that Lisa was with us that day. We examined him and spoke with him about having surgery in Montellano in January but the schedule was pretty tight and we did not know if he would be seen or not. We gave him papers to have his lab work done and when I heard that there was space for him, I called and told him to go ahead and complete the lab work. He returned to Chichi with his results and we signed his surgical consent papers.

Tomorrow morning, Gaspar, his family and I will be traveling to Montellano. Armando will be leaving Jalapa around 3 am, with his son, to arrive in Montellano.  Gaspar drew them a map the other day in clinic since this is all new territory to them.

What a blessing this will be if Dr. Scott is able to proceed with the surgery!



No comments: