Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Back on the Radar!

I arrived in Chichicastenango today........the three weeks in the states went so quickly but it was a good time.

Mom and I made a quick trip to Freeport Bahamas for a week. We had a really good time.  Someone from the Church of Christ came and picked us up on Sunday. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly.  Our accommodations at the hotel were nice and the food was excellent. The pool was huge and it was not crowded.

This was our last breakfast before we headed to the airport.

One last minute to play.

Mom loved it and we had a relaxing time.

Mom, Dad and I had dinner out with some friends and this was a couple of days before I returned to Guatemala.


Returning was an adventure.  As I have said many times, I do not have a boring life.

As I was in Miami, ready to catch the flight to Guatemala, one teenager was entertaining his family with the white mints, Tic-Tacs. He would stuff one up his nasal passage, snort it a few times and then open his mouth to show how it had travelled down so they could see it on his tongue!  What talent!  I help back my applause.

The flight was delayed twice but they never let us know why. When we finally were able to board the plane, there were no crew members to push us away from the gate so we had another 45 minute wait on the plane.

I arrived in Guatemala City, two hours later than I should have. I was frustrated since it was after 10 pm so I called the hotel to let them know that I was going to be late. I did not want them giving my room away since it was New Year's Eve and Antigua was packed.

I quickly found a taxi and we headed out to Antigua.  After about driving ten minutes, the driver pulls into a station to buy gas.  He waits and waits and finally gives up on being served.  We then drove to another gas station and he put a couple of dollars of gas in the tank.......big spender!

Antigua was busting! The streets were packed and I just wanted to eat lunch/ dinner or whatever was quick. I stopped into Burger King since I thought it would be the quickest. All of the restaurants had lines out the doors of people waiting for a table. 

There was a group of about eight people that were not able to control their friend, who obviously had been partying all evening.  They could not get him to sit down, so some of his friends just forced him to a table..............then his girl friend followed them with all of the cokes and then as she reached the table, all of them fell on the floor and flooded the area around them.  But no worries..........the food was still intact on another tray so they sat there wet and started their meal.

The park was full of people releasing Chinese Lanterns or Floating Lanterns.  It was beautiful. I wish that I had taken my good camera and tripod.

A little after midnight, someone started a fire near the arch in Antigua.  I saw it when I walked to breakfast and then it made the CNN News that night.  So sad.............no fire trucks available and it burnt eight stores on the corner.

Finally back in Chichi and ready to start clinics tomorrow. It should be a busy day.  Several patients who are hoping for surgery in February will be there, with their lab results.  I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sheri, you sure do have some great experiences!!!! You will have to show me the tic tac trick!!!!!! Glad you are back, safely!!!!! Love and miss you!!!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like some of my adventures!! Love you, Friend!