Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dental Clinic in Las Cuevas

This morning, after a prayer for safety, we headed to three different communities.  One group went to Chuchipaca, one group to Chintinimit and we went to Las Cuevas.

We had basically a dental clinic today, with just a couple of medical patients.

This is Sandy and Scott with their ABC Child, Vicente.  They have sponsored Vicente for 7 years now and it is very obvious.  He is now 16 years old and as you can see, he is taller than both of his parents.  I positioned them like this, so you could see the benefit of the ABC program.

When children, especially babies, have proper nutrition and education, their growth does not have to be stunted.  Because of the ABC program, Vicente is now taller than his parents and will continue to grow a little more.  We have to start this program as early as we can!

While the dental team was seeing patients inside, we were providing education outside.

Sandy is teaching a group how to properly floss.  Since there is not a Walmart or CVS down the road to buy dental floss, Sandy taught them how to use a plastic bag.  Plastic bags are used on a daily basis here and can be cut to be used as dental floss.  As you can see, even the parents participate.

We also talked and practiced proper brushing.  We got the children to count with us to fifteen, so it was not a "swish-swish, I am done!" type of brushing.

Molly made sure all of the children had toothbrushes and participated.

OK, I did not get many photos again today of everyone.  This is where I realized that my camera had a "chigger-bite."  A new term that Sandy shared with me.  I caught them in a middle of a bite, so it is not a very good photo but I do not have another of Molly.  So, here is Manuel, Molly, Sandy and Scott. 

Molly was a big help in Tzanixnam yesterday with the 56 medical patients.  I have really slipped on getting photos of everyone this trip. Molly, I will be looking for you on this trip with Scott and Sandy next year!

This is Marcos, demonstrating how he wrapped five tortillas into one!

Santos, wanted a photo of each of his three sons, with the family cow.  I am going to make copies for him and then he is going to mail them, with letters to the sponsors of his children.

This is Noe, my parents ABC Child...........I hope that Manuel could tell that Noe has been flossing and brushing!!  This is Maury, helping Manuel.

I hate to admit when I get tired.....but I was tonight. The group was eating as we arrived but the kitchen quickly prepared us a plate.  Julie and Stan entertained me so I did not fall asleep.....................home to shower and sleep a little bit.

Tomorrow, a time of worship together and the market!

No comments: