Thursday, February 28, 2013

Clinics in Chuguexa, Las Trampas and Quejel

Enrique, Cecibel and I traveled to Chuguexa today.  We had a smaller clinic than usual but some interesting contacts.
 
As usual, the majority were diabetics.  I asked the gentleman that helps us with clinics about the May clinic.  He told me that he thought we needed to cancel it for Samana Santa.  During this week, it is very difficult to get patients to come to clinic. I counted our Metformin and Glipize that thought we had have enough to give patients a two month supply.

Most of the glucloses were very high.  I was disappointed.  I would like to do another set of diabetic classes here but there was not a good response to the last ones.  What can ya do?

Our last patient of the day was a young man who had some sad problems.  His family lives here in Chuguexa and he works during the week in Guatemala City.  While in the city, he lives with his uncle, who he claims beats him.  His mother sat in on the consult, so she knows how her brother is treating her 17 year-old son.

We talked for a long time. The mother spoke very little Spanish and I could tell it made her son uncomfortable translating for her, so I asked Enrique to come and join us. Enrique is great with patients.  He is very patient and kind.

Sometimes, we have difficult situations in life.  Sometimes we can control them and sometimes we are unable.  This young man has to make the decision if he is going to continue to live with his uncle or not.  We can not change his uncle's actions.  His mother said we should pray for her brother and I fully agree with that, yet I would not want my son to continue to return to the house to be abused. 

He thought he might be able to find a cousin to live with.  He also wants to continue studying in school but is unable to right now due to finances.  We talked longer about other options he has.  He is young and bright.  His goals are reachable but he needs to be in an environment where his self-esteem can grow.

Enrique and I talked about this young man on our drive home.  He told us that he will return in May and we hope to see him then. 

Lisa, Ruben and their teams went to new areas today to start clinics.  Please pray for success in those areas.  Lisa went to Las Trampas and Ruben went to Quejel.  When we finished in Chuguexa, we called to see if they needed any help.  Both clinics were doing well and this is great news!

I called Alicia to find out about the diabetic patient from Chiqua.  She has been discharged and her blood sugar is under control.  I hope that she is feeling better and will be more compliant with her diet and medicine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.