Saturday, January 24, 2009

First Clinic in Mactzul I

We started a new clinic today in Mactzul I........and what a fun day it was! We had a great first clinic with 51 medical patients. I met Lisa, Kemmel, Juan and Gaspar at the Iglesia de Christo. Juan met me on the main road so I would know where to go. Everyone was very friendly and wanted to help with the clinic. Juan, a member of the congregation, helped translate K'iche' for me.

We had a wide variety of illness which is good practice for me.......I have a lot of reading to do this weekend. I need to study the anatomy of the inner ear and and as always, obstetrics. This couple, Tomasa and Juan, found out today that they are pregnant. He really wanted the photo until he stood next to Tomasa and then he gave me the "Guatemalan look."

The children were outside of the clinic flying home-made kites.........how creative they can be! They used plastic bags with some sticks..............and up they went! This one flew the best.............

We enjoyed a lunch of soup, chicken, tamalitos and two types of fresh salsa............some that burns and some that does not burn as much :)

This little girl was playing outside when we left. The wheel-barrow and plastic chair were bigger than she was.

Our next clinic there will be 21st of February. I hope many patients from today return so I can follow-up and see how they are doing.







No comments: