Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back in Santa Cruz

I arrived safely in Guatemala with Lisa and Kemmel meeting me at the airport. The flight was one of the most turbulent ones I have been on. The pilot asked people to remain seated twice......but many were not doing what he was asked. On the third attempt he stated, "For those passengers who were not able to hear the previous announcements, please take your seats due to the turbulence we are experiencing."

I could actually hear the frustration in his voice. I do not know anything about flying a jet but I am sure it takes concentration. It made me think of when God was dealing with the people in the Old Testament. Do you think they heard frustration in His voice at times? Applying it to today, if we could hear God's voice would we hear frustration at times? The pilot was asking the people to be seated due to the possible danger. God direction is given to us due to His love and wisdom.


The streets of Santa Cruz were quiet today for a Sunday. Usually the market is packed with people pushing their way through the streets. Maybe they are resting from the holidays.


I think it is interesting to see what the first purchased item is when you travel or return home. Usually when I get back to the states, I buy a Diet Dr. Pepper. I usually buy one in the airport or my parents meet me with one. Today, the first thing I bought was a chuchito. It is a scoop of corn that that has been steamed with a little chicken in the middle. It can be served plain or with a little salsa. Below is a photo......they are wrapped in corn husks and steamed.

Tomorrow will be another day of cleaning and organizing and then our clinics start on Tuesday.......the first being in Chutzurob!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were so close to where I will be! I work in San Juan la Laguna, Pana and then in a couple of smaller villages--- El Tablon and Choacruz. Maybe we can meet up one of these days after all.

Glad you arrived safely! I will be there next week. Never taken the time to go to Santa Cruz but someday I will get over there and visit you.
God's blessings on you and your work!
Kare
Education And More