Thursday, January 8, 2009

Clinic in Panajxit

Today I went with Josefina, Manuel and Tomas to Panajxit. It is a clinic that we started in 2006 soon after I moved here. I have been working at other clinics so I have not visited here in quite awhile. It was good to see Enrique and know that the clinic has continued to grow and do well.

We saw a few patients with diabetes today. Josefina was very kind as she explained the disease process and talked with the patients. Many of the people in this area only speak K'iche' so it is an added bonus for them to have someone that is able to speak their language.

One patient visited with the primary concern that she was always thirsty. Through more questioning, we found that the lady also had others symptoms of diabetes. I could not understand everything Josefina was teaching her but I could tell that the patient very much understood what was being explained.......as she chuckled, smiled and nodded her head. When they finished, Josefina told me that they were talking about the lady's urine. As she would urinate on the ground, the sugar in the urine attracted ants and other insects. The moral of the story........if you are out in the woods and you are attracting wild animals, maybe you should have your blood sugar checked :):):)

No comments: