Monday, November 3, 2008

A parade to end the day

Last night after I finished the blog, I found a parade in the street in front of my hotel. I was told it was for an anniversary of one of the big schools here, The School of Christ.

When I first started attending Spanish classes here in Antigua, I had a very difficult time finding the Church of Christ. The directions people gave me would always lead me to this school even though I emphasized I was looking for the church. I looked more times than I can tell you for it......and would always think I was not going to return back to the house until I found it. Well, Lisa and Kemmel were kind enough to come to Antigua and basically lead me by the hand because I could not find it. I was so glad to see them that Sunday morning walking down the street :)

So these are photos from the parade which lasted a few hours in the streets.Catholicism is very strong here in Antigua.

You can not tell from the photo because all of the men carrying this "carga" are wearing black but there are 100 men carrying it on their shoulders. They sway and rock back and forth to make it easier to carry.......so during the whole procession this huge float is moving from side to side to music and drums.The streets are packed. It is a good time to make sure your back packs are secure or even better yet, not to be carrying anything.

At the end of the parade was this little truck. He reminded me of the cartoon, Bullwinkle, that I watched growing up.......at the end of the parade and following the animals was a street sweeper.
I could hear the music and drums in the streets for two more hours after I returned to my room. Antigua is always full of celebration and events.

No comments: