Saturday, September 14, 2013

Parades and Celebration

This morning, I spent a couple hours studying and then decided it was time to walk to Chichi and see what was going on.  There were lots of people in the streets and a parade, since tomorrow is Independence Day for Guatemala.  

The parade was finishing at the soccer field and I went inside to get a few photos.  Since this is the end of the parade, everyone is loosing their enthusiasm.

The parade starts early in the morning and they finish about noon.  The masks that they wear, I am sure get a little stuffy.

 All parades need a tractor in it.

 This group was fun to watch.  They had just lit a smoke bomb and it lingered in the air for a long time.

 They joked around with the people on the side-lines.  I think seven of them came over to high-five me.

As I was leaving, I got this photo of shoes.  This is something that I have never understood but it seems to be important here.  Many of the girls in the parade, wore high-heels.  I can not imagine walking for seven hours in these shoes..................I can not imagine walking thirty minutes in these shoes.  But, this lady was determined that she could, and she did!!

As I continue to walk to Chichi, I saw Kemmel, Lisa and Manuel.  We chatted for a minute and then I did some shopping.  I returned home, just in time as it started to rain again............

I checked on the progress of the road and it has not come very far.  One guy said, "When we say it will be opened tomorrow, we really mean it will be opened in two years!"  I so agree with his statement. 

No comments: