Monday, September 23, 2013

More highway excitement!!

Well, the exciting news the other day was that the Guatemalan President had visited the area to evaluate the highway problems.  We had a couple of dry days which were nice but last night it rained hard again.

I walked up to the highway to see what was happening.

I had joked with Lisa a few days ago about not needing to cook.  She would be able to go out to their gate and buy chuchitos, fruit and icecream............well, things have changed. 

When I approached the road, I smelled grilling steak and onion!!  They have set up 4-5 grills, with tables and chairs.  The buses continue to be lined up with the drivers and their helpers washing them and doing maintenance.

As I went down farther, there were small crowds of people gathered and watching over the cliff!!  Apparently, there are problems with the water line and they were going to repair it!  Here, they have a board to stand on below and they have tied some "safety" ropes.

This guy slowly, I will repeat slowly, inched his way out on the water pipe!  He had a couple of ropes tied to him.

I could not tell exactly what he was doing with the pipe......but I had seen enough.  The guys on the side watching him, from time to time would jerk up and down on the line to scare him and then laugh..........as they say, "With friends like that................" 

There was no work being done on the new part of the road.  It is still full of mud and we continue to wait to see what will happen.

No comments: