Friday, September 20, 2013

Guatemalan president visits Chichi

This afternoon, I went to Mactzul 6 to meet with a ladies committee about doing some classes with them.

On the way to Lisa and Kemmel's house, six helicopters flew over.  When I drove out of Chichi, the field was full of military people.  A little later, I heard that the President of Guatemala had visited.  A neighbor of Lisa and Kemmel said he had been walking around their yard, evaluating the highway and the damage that has been done.

It is not a good situation.  The mini-vans, buses and tuk-tuks are all competing for space on the highway.  People are forced to walk in the dangerous areas.  The drivers are now washing and do maintenance on their buses and vans in the highway.

The meeting in Mactzul 6 went well.  There were about 25 women and 12 young ladies.  we talked about different classes that could be offered and what they are interested in learning more about.  We will see if anything develops from it.

On the way home, I ran into some problems in the road,  They had shut the road to do some work and told us it would be shut for three hours!! Oh my.........what to do??

I saw some people walking back down the road and asked them where they were trying to go.  They said to Chichi and that they knew of another road that would take about 30 minutes, is all!  Well, that is a no-brainer for me!  They asked if they could ride with me and I told them sure.

So, as we turned around, we had a motorcycle begin to follow us.........then more trucks started following. We ended up with about seven vehicles...............we were just trying to make the best of the situation.

We made it back to Chichi in about 40 minutes and I was very thankful!


No comments: