Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I think brakes are over rated :)

Today, Josue, Gaspar and I went to Chuguexa for clinic. We had a wonderful clinic with eleven patients. Of the eleven patients, eight were diabetics.

As Gaspar was taking one patient's blood pressure he said good morning to me. I turned and spoke to him and I remembered his voice from past clinics. I looked at this gentleman three times, trying to remember how I know him. Well, he is one of our diabetic patients that use to come on a monthly basis but has not been to the clinic for one year. He has lost 46 pounds and for this reason, I did not recognize him. My heart sunk.

His sons practically carried him to clinic since he now is unable to walk alone. He came to clinic today because he is always thirsty. He said that he has just been to busy to come to see us during this year. How sad. I am afraid that next month he will not be able to come to clinic. We asked where he lives because if he is not able to come, I hope that we will be able to visit him in his house.

Another lady, who is also a diabetic, has developed a sore on her ankle and it is very infected. She also has not been to the clinic in one year. We gave her some medicine, talked about the diet and encouraged her to come and see us in Lemoa if her leg is not better in 10 days. I am concerned that her leg will not heal well.

We had one lady that is pregnant but can not remember how many months along she is. Her midwife told her that he baby is not developing well so she is very scared. She thinks she is almost nine months but can not remember exactly. I was able to find the fetal heart beat right away and the baby is moving well. We offered to take her to the hospital or for an ultrasound but she wanted to return to her home. This is her 10th pregnancy and she delivered the others in her home without any problem.

Please continue to pray for our patients. So many have struggles that are very difficult and do not have many resources. I hope that when we return next month, the diabetics return and this lady will bring a healthy newborn for us to see. One thing is for sure, we will begin another round of diabetic classes in this community. The classes help increase awareness and remind patients of how severe this illness is.

The guys and I headed for Lemoa after we were finished with clinic. Kemmel wanted us to help with a few things at the clinic. As were were approaching Chichi, the brakes on the truck did not function. It caught me off guard........and I thought, "This surely is not happening!" I began to pump the brakes, geared down and was ready to pull the emergency brake right when the truck started slowing down. Gaspar had grabbed dashboard and the handle above the door, while Josue, in the back seat, just froze in position. The brakes slowly returned and I called Kemmel.

I felt bad for Kemmel since he always gets the calls of bad news about the trucks.......or about anything, really. We took the truck to our favorite mechanic or I should stay that we are his favorite customers since we give him so much business. But all is well and the truck should be fixed tomorrow.

Tomorrow, we will have clinic in Lemoa.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Another reason that I pray for your safety!!!!! Great blogs!!!!