Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Clinic in Xepol

Last night I enjoyed dinner with Lisa and Kemmel. We caught up on much that has happened in the last month. They enjoyed having the Eastside Church of Christ visit in December and help with the ABC Celebration. What a great time it is to share the work with your sponsoring congregation!

Today, Gaspar and I went to Xepol. As always there are events thought the day that are sad and those that are exciting.

It has been two months since I had been here. Since then, a large mudslide had destroyed the building where they have worship services and now we have clinic outside. You can see where the sheets have been hung to offer a little privacy to the patients during their consult. Gaspar set up the pharmacy, we prayed and then began clinic.

This view is from where the building was and there are still some materials left. The congregation is small and they have very few resources. I know they would appreicate your prayers as they struggle through this and strive to serve God.

Today, I was able to see Victor today and he has really grown since I saw him in September or October. The highlight for my day was when I was able to give him my medicine that I no longer need to take.

When I was home in August, I had the Gamma Knife Procedure for trigeminal neuralgia. I am very thankful for the help that I received. Dr. Branch at Wake Forest Medical Center in Winston Salem arranged everything for me. Thank you, Dr. Branch! Since I no longer need the medicine, I wanted to give it to Victor. I hope that some day, Victor also no longer will need it.

We saw twelve patients in Xepol today.

The sad part of the day was when a young girl came to clinic with her grandmother. Her grandmother is diabetic and needed some more medicine. Then Evelin, 10 years old, started telling me about how she felt. She spoke very good Spanish and is in the 3rd grade. She translated into K'iche' for her grandmother and understood everything we talked about. The sad part is that Evelin thinks that she has headaches because her dad tried to have her aborted before her birth. He had her mother injected with some type of medicine on three different occasions to prevent her birth. Her grandmother confirmed this and I felt so bad for Evelin. How horrible it is that this happened and and even more horrible is that she knows of it.

Evelin loves to study and wants to be an accountant when she finishes school. I hope that she will come back to clinic with her grandmother. She seems extremely intelligent and I know she can do well.

This is the view from Xepol.

Tomorrow we will have clinic in Lemoa at Clinica Carris.

No comments: