Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Harding meeets Chinique

Today, we had a good clinic in Chinique. I do not have any photos for you and it is because my battery died. I thought my camera recharged as I was uploading photos to the computer but I was wrong. It was a sad day for me when I realized I would not be able to take photos.

Our group had a good turn-out for clinic with 26 medical patients, 19 dental patients and 13 patients for dental cleaning. Notice, I did say 13 for dental cleaning!!! We were very excited about this and so was Tomas.

I meant to tell you something about our clinic on Monday in Chuchipaca. Only one time since I have been in Guatemala has someone told me that they did not want us to pray. Today, when we finished a consult, a patient told me that she was Mayan. She went on to tell me that she followed the Mayan beliefs as did her father, they believed in the four corners of the world and also believed in St. Simon. I asked her a question about Christ and she said she did not want to talk about him.

After a few more minutes, I decided not to ask anymore questions but just to finish the consult with one of the church members praying in K'iche'. After we started, during about the third sentence, she let out a little giggle. After about 2 more sentences she started playing with my hair. I gently took her hand and placed it in her lap and continued to hold. it. It was was very obvious that she had no respect.

When I think of someone who will not listen to the gospel, it is shuddering because of the future of their soul. I remembered the instructions that Jesus gave in Matthew 10:11-15.

Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there an stay at his house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it;if it is not, let your peace return to you. If anyone not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgement that for that town.

I realize that the situation today was different than the situation when these instructions were given. But the truth remains, there are still many that will not listen to the teachings of Christ. They may be like this lady today and believe only in what their fathers teach. We need to return to the teachings of Christ and not accept what other people say.

We need to pray for people who refuse Christ. We need to search and study so we know the will of God for our life. We must teach Christ and not let other teachings influence us.

No comments: