Friday, May 15, 2009

Just thoughts from today

Today I visited a home to do a physical on a young man. Before I met the gentleman that was going to take me to the house, I drove by a dump area. Now, I drive by dumps all of the time and I see a lot of garbage on a daily basis but today a different nerve was struck.

There were four children playing at the dump area. There were no adults with them. I know they were there to find things that could be useful to them but for a few minutes they were just sitting. They were not crying, they were not upset...............this is just their daily routine.

There are many good humanitarian works done here in Guatemala and yet the country continues to face poverty, violence and despair. If you spend time at the airport you will see group after group arrive with crates, suitcases and boxes full of supplies. Many medical teams come to serve and then return home hoping that they have made some change for the better.

When we have clinics it give us an opportunity to talk to people about their needs. Most everyone will admit the world is in trouble. It is filled with sorrow, illness and devastating circumstances..........life in the world is difficult. This is where the hope comes for those that are Christians.

When the guys and I talk to patients about their physical needs, sometimes we are very limited in what we can do. We can help control diabetes, high blood pressure and chronic pain but we can not totally cure it. We can though, offer eternal hope because this world will end........with all of it's sorrows, illness and devastating circumstances. In Matthew 24:35, Jesus said: Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away." This is where our comfort and hope lie........only in Him. We need to share the message every day.................

1 comment:

Chastity said...

I have heard of it but have never been. Thank you for the suggestion! I'll definately have to look into it. I love looking at all the pictures you take! Makes me want to be there!