Sunday, April 21, 2013

What if I had lived in Sodom and Gomorrah??

Today, Sarah and I worshiped in Santa Cruz.  We jumped on a bus by her house and arrived in plenty of time.

The lesson was about Abraham in Genesis, when God told him that He was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.  The story can be found in Genesis 18th and 19th chapters.

God told Abraham he was going to destroy the city because of the evil that existed there.  Lot, Abraham's nephew, lived in this city so this news greatly concerned Abraham. In Genesis, we are told about their sin of homosexuality.  In Ezekiel, we are told that they were arrogant and did not help the poor or needy.

Abraham approached God several times to ask for mercy on them. He first asked God to spare the city if there were 50 righteous people.  Abraham must have known the sinful condition of the city because  he continued to return to God, decreasing the number until he reached ten people.

So, how can I apply this story to my life?  If I had been living in this city, would my life have been considered righteous or would my life have been considered sinful?  Would I have helped or hindered the survival of the city?

While I may not have been guilty of the specific sins mentioned, sin is sin.  Sin separates us from God. There are no big sins and little sins. 

Does my life and example hinder others from wanting to be a Christian?  Can people tell that my life is different or do I just "blend in" with others?

Just something to think about.


No comments: