Saturday, July 14, 2007

Mom arrives today.......

I am in Antigua, my home away from home, waiting to go to the airport to meet my mom and a friend. A shuttle from Chichi to the airport would have cost $80.00 today. Yesterday afternoon, I took a bus from Chichi to Antigua, spent the night and now have a shuttle to the airport.......all for $20.00. The hotel I frequently used in the past has closed but I have found another one for $13 a night.

The bus ride was interesting as usual. You would expect the driver to slow down a little during the turns but this one enjoyed accelerating! We took the curves so fast and furious that there were several times the man sitting on the other side of the bus extended his arm to keep me from sliding into the aisle. Everyone knew the lap of his or her seat partner, the aisle divided no one!

We did arrive in an area where a small land slide had just occurred. There were large boulders and piles of dirt that prevented us from passing. Even though the main damage had already been done done there were some rocks and dirt still falling. A large machine came in and cleared a path large enough for the bus to pass through.

I was excited to hear that Teresa, Jon and their daughter Bailey will be on the same flight as my mom. Teresa and I worked together in ICU for several years. They will be in Antigua and Guatemala City for one week for an adoption process. When Teresa and I worked together her favorite phrase during lunch was, "Just five more minutes......Just five more minutes......" It is interesting the things you remember after many years.

Mom will be here a month with me. I pray that all of them have a safe flight and I know God will answer that prayer.

No comments: