Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A full day........

Today we saw 18 patients in San Jorge. The local school had a meeting with the parents of the students and the teachers. It was interesting to watch the meeting take place in an open lot. At first we were not sure if we would have any patients but we did have a better turn out than first anticipated.

Enrique's wife was kind and prepared us lunch. When we had a break in patients, I drove to their home to help them bring the food back to the school. We enjoyed eggs, beans, tortillas and coke. After clinic was over, I offered to drive them back to their home. We piled 9 extra people in the truck and off we went through the woods!

We stopped by Lemoa on the way home to get some more medicines that we might need for the clinic tomorrow.

K'iche classes started again tonight. As soon as we returned to Santa Cruz, I went to the school to see if there was an opening for me. I was told there space in the class that will meet two nights a week and to return at 6:30pm for the two hour class. I went back to my house and washed some laundry in the pila to stay awake :)

Ok, this class will be another humbling experience. I will continue to work on my Spanish and also try to learn this new language. The class consists of 8 children, probably all under the age of 12.........and when we did our verbal practice, the teacher always referred to me as the mother :):) how kind........

ok....buenas noches for those of you that speak Spanish and xok aq'ab' for us that are trying to learn K'iche'.

1 comment:

Nicole Reece said...

SHERI! I HAVE FOUND YOU AT LAST! I'm so proud of your blog. Its awesome and I love the pictures. Way to make good use of that camera! It sounds like you guys are doing great down there. How is Josefina? Please tell her I said hi and give her a big hug for me. Yesterday Mary and I were re-living fun memories from PA school and I thought about the day of the "TUMOLOS!!!" and how hilarious that was. I miss you a lot! Love you!
-Nicole