Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Back on the Radar

Well, it is time to return to Guatemala and work in some clinics.

I have been in The States for about seven weeks.,  My parents need surgery so I went to be with them and I loved our time together. Returning was a little more difficult but my parents are doing well and I will see them again in December.

I also attended MedSend in Charlotte and visited Nashville.  It was good to see Julie, Adolfo, Carlos, Sylvia and the children. Julie and I visited with the mission faculty, the nursing faculty and I was invited to speak to a mission class of Steve Sherman.  I saw many people who come down to Guatemala on a regular basis and a few that I have not seen for several years. It was a really good visit and many thanks to those who made it possible.

As I was waiting for my early morning flight to Guatemala, I observed something very interesting.  Usually, I read as I wait for a flight but I was watching how people arrived to the gate and how people selected their seat as we waited to board.  If you have studied different cultures, you may have hear of "hot and cold cultures."

There were about eighteen North Americans, they were all traveling alone and they selected seats far apart. No one sat near another person.  A soon as they sat, they pulled out their cell phones and tablets and were quickly absorbed in whatever they were doing. No one was talking or interacting with another person, only their device.

Four people arrived that were traveling to different parts of Central America.  They arrived one by one and did not know each other.  Within just a few minutes they changed seats to occupy four seats together, exchanged names and where they were traveling to. One lady pulled out a plastic container of pineapple, opened it and shared it with the other three before she removed her portion. They sat for ninety minutes and actually talked to each other, spoke of their families and showed concern for each other.  Not one pulled out a cell phone or tablet.

I do believe in hot and cold cultures and this was a clear example of it.

Manuel picked me up from the airport and we drove to Chichi without any problems. In the morning, we will all do clinic in Lemoa together and I look forward to seeing everyone. Friday, I will prepare to travel to Montellano for a week of surgical clinic.  I am back on the ground and running.........all will be well.

1 comment:

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.