Thursday, December 6, 2012

Clinic in Lemoa

This morning, Lisa picked Sandra and I up and we went to Lemoa for the day.  We had a good clinic but I was disappointed that more babies did not come for cleft lip or palate surgery.

I want to introduce you to Micaela and Martin. They have been married for four years and do not have any children.  Today, I had the opportunity to tell them that they are pregnant.  Martin had a baseball cap on and when I told them, he started laughing and that baseball cap almost fell off.  Micaela started clapping her hands with joy.

When I asked them if they would like a photo, they said yes and gave me the Guatemalan Look.  I said, "Please, act like your friends!"  He grabbed her hand and tossed his arm around her.  It is exciting to see a couple so pleased with their results!

One lady came in today to have her blood sugar checked.  She began to tell me how much stress she has been under.  Her husband receives dialysis at home and she has a young man help care for him.  Last month, for some reason, they had to cut his shirt off and in the process, they cut the tube he uses for dialysis.  He fell on the floor losing a lot of blood.  They rushed him to the hospital but they could not get his stable so a helicopter flew him to Guatemala City.  His family donated several pints of blood and he survived.  What a scary time for his family.

Lisa and Kemmel enjoyed lunch today in Mactzul VI.  We finished up clinic in Lemoa and then headed home in the afternoon.

No comments: