Friday, November 18, 2011

Clinic in choacaman

Today Juan, Gaspar and I went to Choacaman.  We had a good clinic but one that just left a sadness in me today. 

We had a lady come for a consult that has been sick for a very long time.  She had a neighor come with her since she does not speak any Spanish.  The neighbor told me about her long history of drinking and not caring for her children.  She is in her 40's, weighs 77 lbs. and has three young children.  I examined her and we talked a long time about her physical condition. She has hepatitis and is very ill.

When I asked about her children, they told me that they were outside.  I asked about their health and the man that was with her told me that they are very sick.  I asked to see them and they were brought in.  These children were very, very sick and malnourished.  They were small for their age, dirty and covered with bug bites and infection.  The mother told me that she did not have any money for their consult or medicine.  We did see all children and sent them home with medicine that will help.

We talked for a few more minutes and then I asked Enrique to talk with them before they left.  I am hoping that something was said that will change the situation. Maybe something was said that will cause the mother to rethink how she is living her life and how much her children need her.  These children did not ask to be placed in this sad situation.  Only Christ can change situations as this and give hope to this family.


In the morning I will be leaving for Zona Reyna.  I will spend the night in Santa Cruz with Sally and Erv.  We will meet the group that we are traveling with at 0530 and then be traveling for about 10 hours on the back roads of Guatemala.  It will be an adventure and I hope that some good will come from it. 

We may or may not have phone or internet acess but I will post photos and stories as soon as possible.

No comments: