Sunday, June 24, 2007

Weekend in Antigua



Well, I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend at home getting caught up on my laundry, cleaning and sleep but my plans changed :)

My Spanish teacher from Antigua called me late Friday night and asked me to visit for the weekend. I tried to decline but I was not successful. So, I hopped on a Chicken Bus at 0800 Saturday morning and it was one of the fastest Chicken Buses I have been on. It is difficult to know where you need to change buses because they really do not come to a full stop. They just slow down enough for you to jump off. In Chimaltengo, I even had the opportunity to climb up the ladder in the back of the bus with my bags and find a seat.

The first photo is of Volcano Agua. Usually the peek is only visible in the early morning but this was taken after a lot of rain. There are 37 volcanoes in Guatemala, including some that you can climb.

The second photo is of the famous arch. It was originally part of the Santa Catalina Monastery that was moved in 1773 after severe earthquakes. I love Antigua and for the last two years it has been my, "home away from home."

Juliet wanted us to take her daughters to the movies in Guatemala City on Sunday morning but our plans were changed due to the health of her husband. He has several medical problems and recently was able to come home from the hospital. He became worse again during Saturday night so she did not want to leave him on Sunday morning.

The girls were very disappointed since the trip to the City had to be cancelled. The alternative plan became for me to take them to the local cinema in Antigua.........they had never been before so this was a new adventure for the three of us. We were able to see Happy Feet, eat popcorn and drink Cokes.....all for $8.00. Unbelievable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.