Thursday, October 12, 2017

Manuel and Medical Evalgelism



In April 20013, Health Talents started a new clinic in an area called Chicua.  We thought the clinic had great potential, being near the highway and in a good location.

On April 6th, we had seventeen patients waiting for us as we arrived. We quickly set up clinic and then prayed with everyone before starting.  
  
The first patient of the day was a diabetic man, in his mid-40’s and his name was Manuel. His blood sugar was out of control and he did not seek medical care on a regular basis.  We talked about diabetes and I gave him a teaching sheet to help him with his diet.  He asked how much the medicine was and I told him that it less expensive than the pharmacy’s because we were a ministry of The Church of Christ.  We talked a few minutes longer and then he said to me something that I will never, never forget.  He said, “I want to know more about this Church of Christ.” 
 
As soon as I returned home that afternoon, I called Gaspar to follow-up with Manuel.  The next morning, Gaspar traveled and walked almost three hours to find Manuel in Chicua. (Please remember that these small communities do not have street signs nor houses with numbers.) They studied the Bible for the remainder of that day, had dinner together that night and scheduled two more visits.

This is Medical Evangelism at work.  

On April 15th, Manuel was baptized with eight other people at Lake Atitlan. One of the other men that was baptized is a father to an epileptic child that I see monthly.  On that day, we rejoiced with the angels as those nine souls were added to the Book of Life (Rev. 3:5).

Manuel a few minutes before he was baptized.

 The baptism.


Manuel continued to struggle with the diabetes but was doing better.  From time to time, he would call me and be very upset.  He would say, “Sheri, I have fallen.  I have fallen.”  When I heard those words, I knew that he had started drinking again.  I would respond, “Manuel, we all fall.  The key is to get yourself back up, pray for forgiveness and return to the church and ask them to pray with you.  You cannot do it alone.” I then would hear from the community that Manuel was back on track.
 
Manuel lived a difficult life, as many people do.  On October 14, 2014, he died.  He lived a little over eighteen months after being baptized, when he was buried with Christ and washed of all of his sins.

The exciting part of this true story is, that Manuel knew he needed Christ.  He responded to the Medical Evangelism as it was presented to him. And because of this, we give God all of the glory!

We were able to help him with his medical situation and from that, we developed a good relationship with him.  It allowed doors to be opened so that we could assist him with his spiritual needs. He felt comfortable with us and trusted us.  

As I said before, to God be all of the glory!  Because of God, we have medicine to help or to heal many illnesses. Due to the death of His son, and the access to His blood, Manuel now has eternal life.

1 comment:

Mom said...

This is so beautiful, sad and reason to rejoice!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!