Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy August!!

Today, I went to Lemoa to visit with a family that lives near Solola. They came today with Hector, a guy who helps chauffeur for Solomon's Porch in Panajachel.

Hector brought Amarilis Alison and her family for a consult. Amarilis is 5 months old and was born with a cleft lip and palate. Hector had told me that it was a difficult situation and it is.

Amarilis is not a common name and I had a lot of difficulty pronouncing it. After a few times of really blowing it, I told the mother I was going to call her Amar. They laughed at me and told me that it was fine and now I will not have to struggle with her name.

So, when Amar was born, the great-grandmother wanted the parents to let Amar die. She said they would spend too much money on powdered milk and it was not worth it. She told them that they could use that money for a bag of corn instead of milk. The grandmother has 11 children. She is emotionally supportive but not able to help financially. So, Amar was only able to have sugar water for her first two months since the family could not buy milk. Now, they have a specialty bottle for Amar and have received help to buy milk. The bottle is donated by Evelyn's Baskets of Love and Life.

This is Juana and Amar.

This is Amar with her family.....her grandmother, Juana and Wendy, her sister.

Amar was very alert and content. She smiled and allowed me to exam her without any problem. She is sweet.

They will return to the clinic in November for another consult. If Amar continues to grow and do well, we will look at surgery in February 2012.

No comments: