Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Victor and Grass are Good in Xepol

The blog has been quiet for a couple of weeks. I am trying to keep my head above water and getting things done.  The MET Students are still with us and all is well..........well, kind of.  We have had a bump in the road but things are starting to smooth out.

Today, Enrique, Teresa and I went to Xepol.  It was a small clinic but what made my day was when Victor came to visit and get his medication refilled.  He is now 21 years-old and I remember the first time I met him in  2010.  He has epilepsy and was having severe seizures every day and constantly fighting with other children and his family.

We finally got his seizures under control and he also stopped fighting.  This was Victor in 2010.

This is Victor today and he has not had a seizure for two months!  He brought me plums, yellow and red and told me the yellow are for Father's Day and that the red ones are for Mother's Day.  Yes, my heart melted...................thank you, Victor!

Now, I know why you are wondering why the grass is good in Xepol.........well, as we were leaving the clinic today the 4-wheel drive was of no help.  The dirt road is just as slick as ice and the truck wanted to roll down the hill into the church building......I am sorry, there was just no traction.

So, Enrique jumped out and put rocks under the wheels to prevent me from getting closer to the church building. I told Teresa that if she was nervous to wait on the side of the road.  Her door flew open and she jumped out! At that moment, a truck with a few guys drove by and told me to put it in 4-wheel drive. I explained that it was!  So, the plan was for them just to push me a little until I could get the left front tire on the grass to get some traction-------and it worked!

It is situations like that, that reinforce the fact that I am being taken care of..........and that is when you just say, "Gracias a Dios!"

One of the students, Samantha had been feeling a little rough and later developed some lower abdominal pain.  Kemmel and Lisa went to check on her and to make a short story, she need to have her appendix removed.  Lisa, Kemmel and Bethany stayed with her in Quiche and now she is at the Dunham's resting. 

Tomasa and Micaela, who are sisters of our Manuel are going to spend the night with her.  I went over twice today to check on them and we watched a little Netflix and had dinner.  She is recovering well and getting stronger. We teased Sam about having to have three people watch over her but seriously, she has been a great patient.

Kemmel and Lisa are at Clinica Ezell swapping out the students.  The students that were with us will now do a rotation at the coast and the others will return to the highlands for their time with us.  Samantha will shortly catch up with the others at the coast.

Yes, it was a bump in the road but Lisa, Kemmel and Bethany helped Sam and she is doing great!

No comments: