Sunday, March 4, 2018

Catching Up............

The last three weeks have passed very quickly and I loved every moment of them!  As I have mentioned before in blogs, no matter where you are, there is someone that you miss because that is part of life. Even though the last three weeks were fantastic, as we climbed the mountains to return to Chichicastenango, I began looking forward to returning to my "normal" life.

The surgical week in early February was great. I do not know how it could have gone better.  We finished the week with fifty-two surgeries and forty-three dental patients.  When we left, there were still a few patients but everyone was progressing well.

We spent that Friday in Antigua and enjoyed relaxing a little.  The majority of the group flew back to the states on Saturday.

I arrived at my parents about 2am on Sunday morning.  After sleeping for a few hours, I spoke at the Morganton Church of Christ about the work of Health Talents and giving them some updates.

On Monday, my dad with with me to purchase a new toy........a Dutchman Kodiak RV.  I did not expect to hit the snag that I ran into.  Because I have been in Guatemala now for eleven years, there is not really any proof that I have lived in the United States.  Laura, who was trying to help me, did not find any humor when my dad told her that I was part of a witness protection program.  So, I had to put that on hold until I could gather more information.

On Tuesday, Dad took mom and I to Charlotte.  We have been planning a week in Cancun.  We had a great time and the ocean was beautiful. I can highly recommend a great place for shrimp tacos!

Dad picked us up when we flew back to Charlotte and he told me that we had an appointment at 10am the next morning at the bank. Then after the bank, we would have a final look at the RV.  All went well this time and we made arrangement for it to be delivered on Thursday morning.

As I was packing to return to Guatemala, the RV was delivered.  The weather was rainy and dreary but at least it had arrived!

Unbelievable!  It was finally at the parents house and we needed to leave for the airport in fifteen minutes.......................
Sally drove me to Charlotte and then I flew back to Guatemala on Friday.....................finally back in Chichi and ready to start clinics in the morning! 

We have groups of students with us for the next two weeks.  We will be running but it will be good!  Tomorrow, I will see the patients who had cleft-lip and palate surgery.  I will also see Yeffry that had nose surgery and Aida who had a cyst removed from her thumb.  Sharon, a speech therapist, is with this group and we have scheduled her some appointments with the parents of children who have had surgery.  It will be a great week and I will post some new photos of the babies tomorrow!


2 comments:

Mom said...

Great pic. Sheri!!!!! I will try to have the camper ready for travel the next time you are home:)

Sheri said...

Mom, I know that you and Dad will have it all ready to roll!! Thank you!!