Friday, February 1, 2019

Did You Feel That??

Martina and I met everyone at Mactzul I this morning for clinic. We met up with Maunel, Tomas and Aura.  We quickly set up for clinic and prayed with the patients. 

It seemed that the majority of people had urinary problems. I hope that the antibiotics help and when they return, we find them feeling much better.

As I was preparing for more patients, I noticed that the lamina on the roof was rattling. My first thought was that it had become windy and maybe we would get some rain!  We will not get rain for awhile but it does not hurt to wish for it. Then I noticed that it was not stopping. Then the exam table moved a little and I thought, "I think it is an earthquake!" 

I went to look out the door and saw Manuel standing by the pila and looking around.  The ground was swaying side-to-side. He said, "Sheri, I think you should come outside."  I am not sure how long it continued but I would guess 45 seconds from beginning to end. As soon as it calmed, everyone was on their phone calling their families. They turned on the truck radio so we could listen to the emergency news of Guatemala.

A few minutes later, I saw that they posted it to be 6.6 in magnitude. It was a good one that sways side-to-side and that can cause some nausea.  The strongest one that I have ever felt was a 7.3 in Antigua. I really thought the house was coming down that time.

These photos were posted on the news and they were taken near Xela or Quetzaltenango.

I always think of damage to houses and roads but I had never thought about what happens in a grocery store.

Needless to say, after the earthquake, we did not have anymore patients.

Martina drove almost all the way home. She is making some progress and she has a healthy-fear as she drives. I like that.

Tomorrow, we will head to Chuchipaca..............to see some patients and just to see, what we can see.

1 comment:

Mom said...

They sure can make a mess!!! I'm so glad that no one was hurt!!!!