Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Clinic and corn field in Xepol

Gaspar and I set out this morning and picked up Ceci as we made our way to Xepol.

Everything was, notice I say "was" great until I needed to park the truck.

The heavy rains have washed part of the road away above the church building.  Unfortunately, this is where we park the truck.  We thought it would be easier to park the truck if we turned around first.  I was told there was a good place below to make this turn...........

Well, as we went down the hill we met quite a bit of mud but I was able to turn the truck around without any problem.  Then, as we started up the hill, the problem began.  The truck could not make the hill........there was no traction.  It was just as if we were on a frozen lake.

We decided to just back down and carry the equipment up.  The sunshine and wind would hopefully dry the road enough so we would get some traction.  As I started back down the hill, the truck decided it wanted to do something different and one tire ended up in a cornfield! We got out and talked about a plan of action.

Making a long story short, many people came to help us.  They carried rocks and straw.  Gaspar, slipped but I could not see him due to the way the truck was tipped, but he came back up with a bloody nose.  Ceci grapped some toilet paper from my backpack and went to his rescue.  My heart just sunk lower.

We eventually got the truck on level ground and carried our equipment up the hill.

We had a great clinic of 17 patients.  There were 4 patients that need surgery so I will work on getting those scheduled.

This is one little girl that is always in clinic and she helps by carrying our backpack for us.

By the time we finished clinic, the road was dry enough for the truck to make the climb.

No damage to the truck, just to my ego and to Gaspar's lip  :(   but both will heal :)   Just another day and another adventure!!

Tomorrow, we have a class in Mactzul I and I am really for it!!

No comments: