Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday in Chichi

This morning I jumped on a minivan and went to Santa Cruz for worship. I got there a few minutes early so I walked around the market. I saw a lady from one of communities that we have clinic. She was selling squash and apples and I told her that I would return later to buy something.

The sermon was taken from Luke 8 where Jesus calms the sea. The story is familiar. Jesus and his disciples are out on the lake and a storm brews. While Jesus is sleeping, they become afraid and wake him. He gets up, calms the storm and then questions them about their faith. They have a discussion among themselves because they are amazed that the wind and waters obey Him.

The disciples had been with Jesus and had seen His previous miracles but many times, they still doubted or did not understand. If they had just learned to take the lead of Jesus, how much better they would have been. He was sleeping so why should they be nervous? If Jesus was comfortable enough to rest, should they have questioned the weather? Instead, they doubted and did not understand the power of Jesus.

Is it different than us today? I think not. There are times when we need to follow someone's lead, especially the lead of Christ.

There have been many times here in Guatemala that I have needed to trust the guys that I work with and let them take the lead. Even though I am learning the culture more, they will always understand it better. When we come to a problem in the road, need to cross a unsteady bridge, need to cross through water, need to pass through a protest.......there have been so many circumstances, I have needed to follow their lead. I need to act on their advice.

Last night, I watched the movie, The Last King of Scotland. I proabably watched with a different perspective than most people but I could relate with the physican that moved to a new country. As I watched, I saw red flags that he should have paid attention to..........but did not. If he had followed the lead of the local people, he would have saved himself much pain. He should have acted on the advise that was given to him by the people who better understood.

It is always so easy to be the critic after the fact. It is easy to say, "The disciples should have learned by now. They should have had more faith. They should have followed the lead of Jesus."

So, how do we apply the scripture to us today? Do I have enough faith? Do I follow the lead of Christ? Do I worry when I should not? Am I preoccupied with earthly things that will pass?
Will Jesus return for me?

"Let not your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:1-4

Do I take the lead of Jesus? Let not your hearts be troubled..........................

1 comment:

Mom said...

Amen!!!!