Friday, July 7, 2023

The Week Continued to Have Surprises!

I had been told twice that my luggage would arrive with me, but it did not. I was told it would be on my plane but it never left Dallas.  When I left the Guatemalan airport, they told me it would arrive on Monday afternoon around 3pm and they would send it to me..........that also never happened. Violeta, gracias a Dios, went to the airport, found my bags and brought them to me on Wednesday!

Now that my travel concerns are over with, I can focus on what really matters.

The first surgical team of July is here and ready to start surgeries. When I arrived, I found out about another change that was going to need to happen. We have had issues with some of our microscopes and they have been infected with fungus.  It is thought to be a great risk to use them at this point, so we will have to cancel all cataract surgeries but will be able to continue with pyterygium surgeries. 

There were sixteen patients waiting for cataract surgery so Alejandra and I went from bed-to-bed talking with each patient about the need of canceling surgery and having them return to us in November. It was not something I enjoyed because these patients had spent time and money to get here and now we have to postpone their surgery.

This is the most touching photo of the week. One son, so thankful that his father returned from surgery. 

 
Sine we were limited on surgeries, we decided to have special eye exams for diabetics, in order to diagnosis diabetic retinopathy.  We saw around 55 patients.  I hope that we will be able to continue this service in the future.

Even though the week is not what we had planned, there were many good things.  Dr, Stevens, May and Abi were able to meet their ABC child this week  The ABC Program is wonderful for students, the church and the communities.

I want to share one more very positive story with you.

Below is Alive (VP of HTI) and a nurse Maria.  This is Maria's first time with us.

 
I was called to translate in the PACU before they moved a young man to his bed.  This nurse, Maria, was getting report. I had not met her, so I asked her if this was her first time with us and she told me it was. I proceeded to ask more questions and the story unfolded.  

Maria lives in Chicacao, which is not too far from Montellano.  When she was eight years old, she had a hernia repair here, at Ezell. Because of that experience with us, she decided that she wanted to be a nurse.  She continued her education, became a nurse and now is working where, her dream began!!

I can not tell you how excited I was to hear this story!

This was the team before they left on Friday morning.

Yes, the week was different that we had planned on so many levels.  At night in our devotionals, we recognized that through it all, God is in control. We prayed for each patient by name and also prayed for those we had to disappoint.......and yet God is in control.  I am very thankful for that!


 

No comments: